Monday, September 5, 2011

Here I am

Well I started this blog to be more informative to my family or who ever wants to read it I guess. I apparently don't make enough Facebook status updates so this is my solution. I started college this month and so far it has been fun and busy. Except for this Labor Day weekend, which literally no one seems to have stayed here with the exception of myself and my roommate, Chelsea. Anyway, college has been way better than I thought that it would be. I am meeting new people everyday and my professors are all interesting. My English professor reminds me of a hippie version of Jim Carrey and for those of you who know the TV show Boy Meets World, my Art History professor reminds me of Mr. Feeny.
Before I moved here I was scared of what it would be like to live on my own. I was scared to suddenly not have the support of my family. Having to cook my own meals with the hope of not poisoning myself. Not to have my mommy there to ask me if my homework is done. And yes mom, it is done. I was worried that I would be homesick.
I am missing home, but not as much as I thought I would. Living here isn't as much as a change as I thought it would be. My roommates and I have made a home away from our normal homes. I do my homework, I don't cry EVERY night wanting to go home, and so far my cooking hasn't made me or anyone else sick. Yet. I guess that I was expecting this huge change in my life or that I would change, and even though it is a turning point in my life, it doesn't feel like I've changed. The thing is, I haven't. It's just that I'm in a different location now.
I am liking, no, loving that I am out of high school. College opens up so many new opportunities that we all seem to be blind from when we are in high school. High School was not my 'thing' to say the least. I never seemed to 'fit in' or I was the weird one. Being here just two weeks I realized that it shouldn't have mattered all that time. I wish I had known that then because maybe I wouldn't have gotten into things I did. Here I can be myself and guess what? I still have friends. REAL friends that don't judge or even care where you were in high school or what you did. They care about the you NOW. It's not all about material things in life, it's about getting to know someone and getting an education. The important things. (I sound like an episode of Doogie Howser) Anyway I will try and do this often and I really hope I keep this up. If I'm not then I give who ever reads this permission to kick my butt into gear and update this. Love to all that read this.

No comments:

Post a Comment